day 3
9th Jan 2008
4am
I woke up, just can't fall asleep again. It's cold, dark, and the bed is so not comfortable. Turned to my left, Keesian has awaken too. All of us just getting too excited on what we are going to do later.
6am
Alright, everyone has to wake up now. Breakfast with instant noodles and sausages, some of us was doing warm up, some of us was still packing our bags. Jun got much better after 2 days of sleep. However he refused to carry his bag but putting everything in Yi Yeung's bag. Well, for him not carrying anything, we want him to carry our food. Another words, he is our food porter.
8am
We gathered at the entrance of the mountain. Wanru just informed us that our guide is a local lady named Veronica Benjamin. I wondered what Keesian heard when Wanru told us her name, he just kept calling her Victoria. Haha. 8.30am, our crazy journey begun.
Our mission of the day was to reach a place called Laban Rata. Laban Rata is 3300meters above sealevel and there are rooms for us to rest. Veronica told us that some of us might feel dizzy when we approaching 2500meters due to the high altitute. The whole journey from the entrance to Laban Rata is 6km long in total. Normally it takes 6 hours to reach there.
The first 2km was nothing much exciting. I had the same feeling when I was climbing Gasing Hill back in Petaling Jaya. After 2km of walking in the jungle, we were seperated. Me, Jun and Keesian were in the lead while the rest are fall behind us. In the second 2km, my legs was so tired that I have to rest once in a while. We have passed the 2500meters point and fortunately I have no breathing problem, just a little dizzy.
Jun is a great climber I supposed. He actually helped Yi Yeung to carry his bag and in the same time carry our food since Yi Yeung wasn't feeling well after 2500meters level. But that didn't slow him much, and in fact in the second 2km, he overtook me and walked up alone when I paused for a rest. Keesian was just right behind me, looking exhausted, just like me.
I met some caucasian and chatted with them while keeping myself going. Amazingly, for the last 2km, I felt refreshed. The air was getting thinner and thinner, the temperature was getting lower. I am forced to wear a jacket to continue my journey. I regained my energy by eating lots of chocolates and eggs. The board which indicates that there were just 2km left to Laban Rata inspired and motivated me to walk faster. At certain point, I walked pass Jun and continue going up without any rest.
Around 100 to 200 meters before I reached Laban Rata, it start to rain. And you know, when it's raining, the weather will get extremely cold. I know it will be tough if I soaks in the rain for too long, I rushed upwards regardless of tiredness. Finally, I reached Laban Rata. It was 1.30pm. Wow, I used just 5 hours to reach here.
In my imagination, Laban Rata is a flat ground in the middle of the mountain where a few hotels were build there. But in fact it is not. It is just a building built on the mountain. A wooden building, like an inn. When I first step into the inn, some people congratulated me for reaching this point. I was cold and exhausted. Dizzyness starts to attact my mind, my body as I finally relaxed. 9 degree celcius, was the only figure shown in the termometer reading.
Half an hour later, Jun rushed into the inn. He made it. He was wet like he was dancing in the rain. Drying himself in the inn, we found a table and ordered some food and drink. Hot food with warm drink, the best combo of the day. The food there was so expensive that each cup of milo cost RM6 and fried rice cost RM15. However we thought that was worth as we finally know how hard is it to carry things up to this level.
Another half an hour, Keesian arrived. Besides wet, he was just wet. In the same time, dizzyness starts to conquer my mind. I am forced to take 2 panadols and rest early in my room there. The last thing I saw in the inn was the termometer reading. It was 7 degree.
When I was on the bed, I saw Wooikuan, Wanru, Lynn, Yi Yeung, arrived one by one. Ah.. everyone made it. Lynn made a cup noodles for me as my dinner, then everyone went to rest early. Me, Wooikuan, Wanru and Lynn in one room, 3 of them in another room. All of us slept in full armed winter gear due to the low temperature.
Our next mission is to start climbing at 2.30am the next day and all the way till the peak of Mount Kinabalu, the Low's Peak. "If this peak is low one, then where is the High's Peak?" I asked my friends before. The answer is, 'Low' is actually someone's initial. It is already the highest peak in Mount Kinabalu. So it is called Low's Peak. Confusing.
At around 9 to 10pm, my headache and dizzyness were back. I couldn't sleep well and all. Suddenly, Jun came in with Keesian, they told us another bad news: Yi Yeung gave up on tomorrow's climb due to hard breathing problem; Jun himself got dizzyness and headache like me; and Keesian said he has reached his limit. They woke us up, Wanru and Lynn both felt demoralised as they were exhauseted too. I was once thinking that I should stay in Laban Rata with Yeung together.
Couldn't sleep, frustration and disappointment were our only feeling. We started to chat to each other in the small room. Jun suggested that I eat another 2 panadols and stop sleeping. I followed, it didn't turn too well but at least I could talk to them.
1am approaching. There was only 1 hour left to decide whether we should continue. Well after some discussion, we decided to attempt it. Yeung's the only one giving up totally. The rest of us, we are prepared, regardless to our physical and mental conditions.
Can we do it?
9th Jan 2008
4am
I woke up, just can't fall asleep again. It's cold, dark, and the bed is so not comfortable. Turned to my left, Keesian has awaken too. All of us just getting too excited on what we are going to do later.
6am
Alright, everyone has to wake up now. Breakfast with instant noodles and sausages, some of us was doing warm up, some of us was still packing our bags. Jun got much better after 2 days of sleep. However he refused to carry his bag but putting everything in Yi Yeung's bag. Well, for him not carrying anything, we want him to carry our food. Another words, he is our food porter.
8am
We gathered at the entrance of the mountain. Wanru just informed us that our guide is a local lady named Veronica Benjamin. I wondered what Keesian heard when Wanru told us her name, he just kept calling her Victoria. Haha. 8.30am, our crazy journey begun.
Our mission of the day was to reach a place called Laban Rata. Laban Rata is 3300meters above sealevel and there are rooms for us to rest. Veronica told us that some of us might feel dizzy when we approaching 2500meters due to the high altitute. The whole journey from the entrance to Laban Rata is 6km long in total. Normally it takes 6 hours to reach there.
The first 2km was nothing much exciting. I had the same feeling when I was climbing Gasing Hill back in Petaling Jaya. After 2km of walking in the jungle, we were seperated. Me, Jun and Keesian were in the lead while the rest are fall behind us. In the second 2km, my legs was so tired that I have to rest once in a while. We have passed the 2500meters point and fortunately I have no breathing problem, just a little dizzy.
Jun is a great climber I supposed. He actually helped Yi Yeung to carry his bag and in the same time carry our food since Yi Yeung wasn't feeling well after 2500meters level. But that didn't slow him much, and in fact in the second 2km, he overtook me and walked up alone when I paused for a rest. Keesian was just right behind me, looking exhausted, just like me.
I met some caucasian and chatted with them while keeping myself going. Amazingly, for the last 2km, I felt refreshed. The air was getting thinner and thinner, the temperature was getting lower. I am forced to wear a jacket to continue my journey. I regained my energy by eating lots of chocolates and eggs. The board which indicates that there were just 2km left to Laban Rata inspired and motivated me to walk faster. At certain point, I walked pass Jun and continue going up without any rest.
Around 100 to 200 meters before I reached Laban Rata, it start to rain. And you know, when it's raining, the weather will get extremely cold. I know it will be tough if I soaks in the rain for too long, I rushed upwards regardless of tiredness. Finally, I reached Laban Rata. It was 1.30pm. Wow, I used just 5 hours to reach here.
In my imagination, Laban Rata is a flat ground in the middle of the mountain where a few hotels were build there. But in fact it is not. It is just a building built on the mountain. A wooden building, like an inn. When I first step into the inn, some people congratulated me for reaching this point. I was cold and exhausted. Dizzyness starts to attact my mind, my body as I finally relaxed. 9 degree celcius, was the only figure shown in the termometer reading.
Half an hour later, Jun rushed into the inn. He made it. He was wet like he was dancing in the rain. Drying himself in the inn, we found a table and ordered some food and drink. Hot food with warm drink, the best combo of the day. The food there was so expensive that each cup of milo cost RM6 and fried rice cost RM15. However we thought that was worth as we finally know how hard is it to carry things up to this level.
Another half an hour, Keesian arrived. Besides wet, he was just wet. In the same time, dizzyness starts to conquer my mind. I am forced to take 2 panadols and rest early in my room there. The last thing I saw in the inn was the termometer reading. It was 7 degree.
When I was on the bed, I saw Wooikuan, Wanru, Lynn, Yi Yeung, arrived one by one. Ah.. everyone made it. Lynn made a cup noodles for me as my dinner, then everyone went to rest early. Me, Wooikuan, Wanru and Lynn in one room, 3 of them in another room. All of us slept in full armed winter gear due to the low temperature.
Our next mission is to start climbing at 2.30am the next day and all the way till the peak of Mount Kinabalu, the Low's Peak. "If this peak is low one, then where is the High's Peak?" I asked my friends before. The answer is, 'Low' is actually someone's initial. It is already the highest peak in Mount Kinabalu. So it is called Low's Peak. Confusing.
At around 9 to 10pm, my headache and dizzyness were back. I couldn't sleep well and all. Suddenly, Jun came in with Keesian, they told us another bad news: Yi Yeung gave up on tomorrow's climb due to hard breathing problem; Jun himself got dizzyness and headache like me; and Keesian said he has reached his limit. They woke us up, Wanru and Lynn both felt demoralised as they were exhauseted too. I was once thinking that I should stay in Laban Rata with Yeung together.
Couldn't sleep, frustration and disappointment were our only feeling. We started to chat to each other in the small room. Jun suggested that I eat another 2 panadols and stop sleeping. I followed, it didn't turn too well but at least I could talk to them.
1am approaching. There was only 1 hour left to decide whether we should continue. Well after some discussion, we decided to attempt it. Yeung's the only one giving up totally. The rest of us, we are prepared, regardless to our physical and mental conditions.
Can we do it?
Mount Kinabalu from the entrance.
I love squirrel and obviously squirrel loves me too.
Keesian is the one at the right.
Camwhore once I have reached the inn. You noticed I love NUS right?
Jun's here too!

No comments:
Post a Comment